Today in class we completed some prewriting for the essay that you will compose tomorrow (STAAR Preparation Essay 1 Rubric).
I also told you about the Dracula-themed critical reading exam (multiple choice) that you will take on Monday instead of a quiz; you’ll read three different kinds of passages (a poem, a nonfiction article, and a selection from a novel that is not Dracula) and answer some STAAR-style questions.
Homework for tonight is the next chapter of Dracula (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 19).
Today I passed out permission slips to watch the 1992 Francis Ford Coppola version of Dracula (rated R). You have three options if you would like extra credit for this:
- You can watch this with our classes after school on Friday — I will be editing out what I consider to be the R-rated material.
- You can watch it at home with your parents over the weekend — I will give you the viewing guide along with the times of the pieces that I will be skipping.
- If your parents are not comfortable with you watching an edited version of the film either with me or with them, talk with me one-on-one and we can find an alternate vampire film for you to watch.
With our class time today, students read this piece of literary criticism (The Zoophagous Maniac) and compared it to Chapter 18 (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 18).
We started today with a lesson on subjects and predicates (Subject and Predicate Notes Subjects and Predicates and Evil Kittens). After that, we looked at the beginning of Chapter 17 — please finish that for homework (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 17).
Today we took our third Dracula vocab quiz. Homework is to compare La Belle Dame Sans Merci to Lucy in Chapter 16 (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 16).
We began today by reading Keats’s “La Belle Dame Sans Merci” and practicing answering some multiple choice questions. Then we took a look at Dracula, Chapter 15 (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 15). Please make sure that you have finished Vocab.com and are ready for your quiz on Monday (which will also include infinitives).
We had a few different things going on today!
- We recapped some of the most important developments from Chapter 13 and looked at some of the most challenging passages.
- We learned about infinitives (infinitiveworksheet) — these will be on your quiz on Monday.
- We began reading Chapter 14 together (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 14).
Please make sure that you have finished Vocabulary.com before Sunday night!
Welcome back from Spring Break! We postponed our quiz until tomorrow to give people a little chance to get back into the swing of things. Today we looked at Chapter 11 (Dracula Reading Guide – Chapter 11) together and discussed the questions on the reading guides.