Today in class, we will begin with a short video called “Everything You Need to Know to Read Homer’s Odyssey.”
Since the Odyssey is a sequel, we need to talk about what happened before, during the Trojan War, so we’ll do that with a bit of story time (The Odyssey Schema Guide).
For homework tonight, you should do two things:
- Please be working on your Hero’s Journey Diagram for your fiction summer reading (due on Tuesday, September 4, and worth three grades!).
- Please complete this self-reflection using the Hero’s Journey.
A few other important things to keep in mind:
- Please make sure that you bring your charged laptop to class tomorrow (and every day from here on out).
- We are having an extra credit movie (worth 10 points on your quiz on Monday) Friday, after school — it will be an edited version of Troy. This should be a great way to make new friends, learn some background for the Odyssey, earn some extra credit, and relax after a long week! 🙂 There will be drinks and snacks for sale, benefiting Cardinals Take Flight.
- We will go over the syllabus later this week — I will give you a list of supplies before the weekend (but there’s nothing too strange or extravagant!).