We made it through the first week of school — congratulations!
Today in class, we continued to talk about Book 1 of the Odyssey. Then students answered some questions about Books 2, 3, and 4 from the graphic novel (if you didn’t finish, you will have some time on Tuesday to work on that). I checked in with everyone about their progress on their summer reading assignments — please remember that your Hero’s Journey diagram is due on Tuesday, September 3, and the essay will be due on Monday, September 9.
Again, I’m so sorry that the Smartboard wasn’t working and that we couldn’t see our after school movie! I have already ordered a cord that I think will fix things for next week. I gave everyone a copy of the questions for the movie Troy (along with the parts to skip to keep it at a PG-13 level) which you can do for extra credit, but that’s totally optional.
Finally, picture day is next Thursday (September 5)!
The SmartBoard is having trouble working, and it looks like we won’t be able to show the film after school today. Instead, I’ll give everyone a copy of the viewing guide to watch at home (still for extra credit) if you would like.
I’m so sorry for the inconvenience! If you have already made pick-up arrangements, you are welcome to stay in my room and hang out with your friends or have a study hall until 6:00 PM.
Today in class we finished our story of the Trojan War, and we began reading the Odyssey together. Homework for tonight is to read the rest of Book 1 (1 – Book 1) and complete the questions that we didn’t do in class on the reading guide (Book 1 Reading Guide).
I also gave out picture order forms — your picture day will be a week from today, Thursday, September 5, during English class.
A few important reminders:
- We have an extra credit movie Friday afternoon until 6:00 PM — it will be worth five points on your Hero’s Journey diagram poster.
- Your Hero’s Journey poster is due on Tuesday, September 3.
- Your nonfiction essay is due on Monday, September 9.
Homework for tonight is another Flipgrid response. Go to your period listed under yesterday’s post and respond to the prompt about xenia/hospitality.
Your homework is also to have a parent respond to this form by Tuesday, September 3.
Today in class, we are going over the syllabus section of the website, and then we are talking about the Trojan War using this slide deck (The Odyssey Schema Guide)!
Welcome back! Here’s the rundown of what we’re doing today in class:
- We’re going to start by watching this short video and answering some questions.
2. Next, as a reminder, we’re having an after school extra credit movie, the edited version of Troy, Friday from 4:00 to 6:00 PM. You are invited to join us in room 316. Attending will be worth five points of extra credit on your Hero’s Journey project (which is a major grade). There will be movie snacks for sale, benefiting Bellaire study abroad programs.
3. Also, as you are working on your two summer reading assignments, please check out the website for Bellaire’s Pre-AP English 1 summer reading.
4. Your homework for tonight is to respond to a quick prompt via Flipgrid. You can access your period’s Grid by clicking on the links below:
5. Here is the rubric for the essay over your nonfiction book, which will be due on Monday, September 9 (Nonfiction Summer Reading Essay Rubric). This will be worth a major grade.
6. And finally, we will be spending some time in class working on your fiction summer reading Hero’s Journey poster. That project will be due on Tuesday, September 3, and will be worth a major grade. Please make sure that you do your very best work on this!
Welcome to class! I’m so excited to have you this year.
This website is where I’ll be posting summaries of our activities each day along with electronic copies of assignment and additional resources.
We started today off with a lesson on the Hero’s Journey; we watched this video, and students began work on this (The Hero’s Journey Diagram Assignment) assignment.
We will continue to talk about summer reading assignments tomorrow!